Find Joy

When we are doing something we don't enjoy (like work), sometimes we set our mind to the fact that it is miserable. We don't allow the joy of doing the work to come through; we shut it out and focus on the bad side of working. Take yesterday for example: I had to take the dog out. Now, it is WINTER here. We have about five inches of snow, and it is COLD. So, naturally, I wasn't happy to have to go outside. But I was sick of listening to the dog bark at me, so I ran her out and stood in the snow, begging her to do her thing fast. And then I heard he birds. I was surprised, because it is February, but they were there, singing like it was spring. That little birdsong halted my complaints and helped me realize the joy of being outside in the fresh air. Suddenly, the air didn't seem so cold and the snow seemed whiter. I was happy to be outside.

Look for the good things when you are annoyed, miserable, or unhappy. It's probably not as bad as you think. 
0 Responses